Friday 31 May 2013

A Road To Japan: Placements!

Sendai City Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
仙台市


After much waiting, I received my placement last weekend. Ok, so if I'm really honest with you, I was a little surprised to have received Sendai City. It wasn't any of my placement choices, nor had it been a place I had even considered. I think part of me had kind of thought I would be placed somewhere a bit more southern; my requests had all been for the Kansai region and in my interview/application I had mentioned about the fact that my town is twinned with both Ito and Yokosuka, plus we also have strong ties with Hirado. So I was pretty shocked when I opened my information pack. I couldn't help my initial feelings being those of slight concern; the only information I had ever heard about Sendai was that of horror stories from two years ago. When most people I speak to hear the word Sendai, they automatically think of Tsunamis and nuclear disasters.

Sendai City is known as 'The City of Trees'
But you know what, after much research I've come to realise just how great Sendai City may actually be and how silly I was to feel worried about going there. It's quite amazing just how much the media can tarnish something beautiful. The city is rebuilt, everything appears to be pretty much back to the way it was before the disaster struck. If anything, I actually think I've been given one of the best locations to live. It seems to have everything to offer and everything I will need. Shopping malls, mountains for skiing in winter, beaches for the summer, plenty of festivals and things to see...and what's more it looks like there's plenty of arts & crafts and martial arts going on to keep me occupied. Being a city ALT means that I'll most likely be working with elementary and junior high school kids which will be brilliant for me. The more I read and learn about this city, the more excited I am to go and realise why I might have been placed there. It pretty much has everything I said I wanted to do and see whilst in Japan, and hopefully, it's going to be a place that I can learn so much from. I can't wait to get out there and meet the community I'll be working in and discover what things I can become involved with. I have so many ideas for different projects and things I wish to do/take up whilst there. It's almost two months until I depart England, at the moment it all feels like a dream and not real at all. I have so much stuff to do!

So here's a little info about my soon-to-be new home:
Sendai (仙台市 Sendai-shi) is the capital city of Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, and the largest city in the Tōhoku Region. In 2005, the city had a population of one million, and was one of Japan's 19 designated cities. The city was founded in 1600 by the daimyo Date Masamune, and is well known by its nickname, the City of Trees (杜の都 Mori no Miyako); there are about 60 zelkova trees on Jōzenji Street (定禅寺通 Jōzenji dōri) and Aoba Street (青葉通 Aoba dōri). In the summer, the Sendai Tanabata Festival, the largest Tanabata festival in Japan, is held. In winter, the trees are decorated with thousands of lights for the Pageant of Starlight (光のページェント), lasting through most of December. (From Wikipedia.) 
Sendai City logo.
Throughout the city stand beautiful green trees and sculptures. Because of the many parks and green areas, Sendai has been nick named "City of Trees" (Mori-no-miyako). There are a wide selection of restaurants, cinemas and museums, along with plenty of art galleries and sports facilities. The city covers quite a large area, stretching from the ocean in the east right up to the mountains in the west, meaning that there's lots of outdoor activities available. Sendai is situated 350km north of Tokyo, taking only around 1 1/2 hours to reach by Shinkansen (bullet train). There is also an airport that has both international and domestic flights available. 

...There seems to be several onsen within the area too, so I can't wait to check those out. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about getting totally naked in public baths just yet, but I'm certain it'll be an interesting experience nonetheless! I also found that there's an astronomical observatory, so can't wait to take a look at that either. Anyway, it seems like I'm going to be spoilt for choice of things to keep me occupied! Very exciting!



 So yeah, I've rambled on enough about the city I think. I should hopefully hear from my predecessor and contracting organisation in the next few weeks and find out exactly my location within Sendai as well as the schools I'll be working with and my apartment. Reeeeeally excited to know more! :D 
  
All of this has definitely made me consider just how much of our lives are actually in our own control. For instance, I decided to apply to JET and move on from my life here because I felt that I was ready for the next stage. But it seems like the moment I made that decision, so many doorways and opportunities began to open up for me. It's almost like rolling a ball along the ground; you set that ball in motion, but it's the objects that it collides with or comes into contact with that determine where it goes. So whilst I may have set myself off on this road to Japan, fate it seems still directs where I go and what happens along the way. I suppose that the 'objects' I come into contact with along that path determine the outcome. It's intriguing to find out what it might be.  

 ...Just something to consider on a Friday night. ;) I now leave you with the song I am currently listening to on my playlist. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment